Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween For Real

 Here's the night of Halloween with some neighbors and Parker's good friend from school.

 For 2 months or so Mimi wanted to be Saturn.  I was stumped on 2 fronts: where did she get this idea, and how were we going to pull it off?  Her inspiration?  A glow-in-the-dark solar system that hangs in her room.  The costume?  Why it's a Winnie the Pooh Hunny pot, turned up-side down and covered in gold costume fabric.  The rings are a piece of cardboard that I spray painted white and covered with colored rings.  Mimi was most impressed with the double sided rings.  I attached the rings to the planet with a needle and fishing line.  The cape was just a square of fabric and a ribbon.  Just what she wanted. 

Here she is on her way to school that day.  Half-day Kindergarten was told to come in costume, since their day is so short.  That must have been a pretty silly day on the bus. 
Here's Mimi during the school's parade. 
And here's Parker strutting his stuff as the red Power Ranger (Mystic Force series, if you're wondering:)  His was trickier to make.  But the second hand store comes in handy at times with funny colored clothes.  I used duct and electrical tape to create the stripes.  I used more costume fabric to cover the boots and make the crazy cape.  Also, some foam for the belt, and I made a red hat into the helmet.  It made him SO happy. 
After a day of the zoo and the church party (I forgot my camera) we came home in time to see the Good Year Blimp floating over our house.  This happens a lot actually, sometimes it's even closer.  The kiddos love it.  

Yoda barely lets us put a coat on him, I knew it would be too much to get him to wear a costume.  So I dressed up his stroller to be Mack from the movie Cars.  Although it didn't turn out great, he still would have nothing to do with it.  So he wore his robot sweater and said this on occasion:
"Bee-Bee-Bop"

4 comments:

  1. very impressive, Valerina! (sash)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very amazing costumes. I'm very proud!! That's my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remembered, I have a picture of Mimi with that hunny pot on her head, years ago.. That hunny pot sure has come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mimi's costume is great. Allen and I laughed, it reminds us of "Space Olympics".

    http://www.hulu.com/watch/34464/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-space-olympics

    ReplyDelete