Monday, August 28, 2017

Basketball no more

We had high hopes, but no one really played basketball in our driveway with the hoop that's been there for almost 30 years.  A few years ago, I spray-painted it to make it look nice, but the slant of the driveway make it annoying to play.  
Everyday while backing up out of the garage, I avoided hitting it, then one day I begged Greg to tear it out.  We finally did it!  

Before...
First we dug around the base. 

 Then, using a sledge hammer, we loosened the cement from the ground. 

Then we wiggled it a little and... 

boom, it tipped right over.  

Although there was a wide swath of cement, thankfully it didn't go deeper then 12 inches.  Yoda measured with his hand.  

We hoped it would just have a little cement up the pole, nope.  It was completely full of cement.  We tried cutting the pole with the saw, no dice... After cutting and swinging with the sledgehammer, we got the pole free from the cement.  (We borrowed and then broke the first sledge hammer and had to buy a new one.)
The backboard was taken away by the city's bulk trash, but now we have a pile of cement and a cement filled pole that we don't know what to do with.  But at least I'm not going to hit the pole as I back up anymore! 
Now to grow some grass...

2 comments:

  1. That must have hurt Greg's back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that pole was meant to stay there forever. Maybe you could use the pole to edge the patio. Or just find a place to bury it. Maybe someone on Craig's list would want it, who knows?

    ReplyDelete