Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Wish

Sorry these pictures are bad, but you get the idea that this house is boring and mostly empty.









The short story is that another big reason to move to Ohio was to buy a house. In our searching we found that even though we stayed out of debt (mostly because of our terrific parents help and guidance) and saved for YEARS, our money just didn't buy as much house as we thought it would. Although I don't want to call it settling, we did just end up picking a house. It's most of the things on our list and it's like a blank canvas waiting for the right artist. None of the previous owners have done anything to it, so I'm excited to take it on-room by room and make it my own-I mean our own. I've built up a bunch of ideas over the past 9 years of living in other people's properties, but I may still need your help. Which room should we make over first?

Half-bath
Laundry room
Living room
Dining room
Superman's room
Mimi's room
Guest room
Front porch
Back yard
Master Bedroom
Master Bath
Kid's Bath
Garage
Kitchen
Family room

Add your vote to the right...

More of the story below.

10 comments:

  1. How exciting for you guys. Congratulations. It looks like a great house and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    We miss you guys so much here, but we hope you are making good friends. You were one of my first really good friends here in Boston and now you are gone. Don't forget us out here and be sure to come back and visit. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pick the room that needs the most work for when mom and dad come to visit. then pick the room with the second most for when I come to visit, whenever that is. then do whatever else is left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is YOURS!!! I would start with an small rooms first - bathrooms (cheap & easy to commplete)and then kids bedrooms. You'll feel great when you get those rooms done!

    i went out for ice cream after the RS broadcast with a friend from church - her mom was in town visiting. she lives in Columbus. I took a chance and asked if she knew any Gibby's. She sure does, your mother-in-law is her VT. crazy small world! we'll have to chat and catch up very soon! when you wanna come up to Cleveland!?? :) Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'd start with the smallest room or the one that takes the least amount of work. then you can. quickly, there! that's done! the other way to go is to do the one that you have the most inspiration for. be thinking of what you want me to do when i come. can't wait love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You soooo deserve it. We miss you. When we're settled somewhere, we'll have to plan an Ohio visit and see you and the Phillips. Much Love, H

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the house! I am so excited for you. We sure miss you at book group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know nothing about remaking rooms, but I'd do one that you spend a lot time in. Like the family room or kitchen. However, I think you said you were going to knock out a wall. So maybe you don't want to do that one first. You might want to enjoy being in your house for a while, since you've been in limbo for so long. So I guess my final vote is family room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Cousin! Remember me?
    I would start with the master bedroom because that is the place you want to feel most at peace in. IMO not only should your bedroom be the place you and your husband can reconnect at the end of a hectic day but it should be a finished room that you are happy to wake up in. It can be a bit overwhelming to wake up and slapped in the face first thing with all that is left to be done. At least you can go to bed each night and wake up with a reminder of how much you are going to get done. My husband Jack and I have been remodeling for almost 2 years and I am SO glad to have our bedroom as a retreat from it all when I am fried and discouraged because there is so much left to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't think of a better artist for your new "blank canvas" home than you!
    I would start with the kitchen becuase that's where I live (and I'm a crazy glutton for punishment). A sensible person like you will start with something manageable.
    P.S. Do an entire room in an eggplant motif.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should do your bedroom first. Then it will be your little haven to sneak away to at night. A place to unwind after doing all the other rooms. A place to lay in bed and look at your creative talents - and ponder the future ones. I would totally do your room first. In fact, why don't YOU come do MY room first?

    ReplyDelete